lunedì 8 febbraio 2010

Necessity of catharsis

I attended a course of creative writing last spring in Cardiff. Once the tutor tried to teach us how to write for children. She remarked that children always need an happy ending. I totally agreed with her, but I remeber that I started to wonder: 'Don't adults need an happy ending as well'? I asked her and she told me that adults need catharsis rather than "and they lived happily ever after". Well, now 'Why do we need...what's that? Ah, catharsis'.
I haven't got any answer. I didn't ask her. When she explains the story of catharsis I only thought 'Yes off course, it's so obvious: the catharsis'.
After almost one year the question came back to my mind: 'Why do we need catharsis?'
To sum up, I need catharsis but I would rather prefer an happy ending.
I've really appreciated you offer, I found catharsis really nice and interesting but, please, can I have an happy ending?

2 commenti:

  1. maybe happy ending is a thing touchable but at the same time unreal...but catharsis...it depends on you..you can always imagine you just had...I guess...
    Sorry for my english!!!
    Ely

    RispondiElimina
  2. human beings r strange animals, expecially when they're adults, don't u think?

    RispondiElimina