martedì 3 novembre 2009

The answer

What is it art? Well, the answer was on the lips of a little girl. She was climbing the stairs that leads up to the second floor of the Castello Sforzesco in Milan. The child and her mother were on their way to the art gallery.
I was sitting. I was studying Humanities at the University of Milan but during that Christmas, six years ago, I worked in the art gallery as guard. My duties were easy: to keep on eye on the paintings and in particular to look at the people making sure they didn't touch them. To touch or take photographs of the paintings was not allowed, and if someone did I had to say: "I'm sorry but you can't do that".
That's all. An easy job. I would say 'a boring job', because I think that people are more appealing as characters of story novels rather than in the real life.
My morning, as usual, was watching the number of people coming into the gallery. At that moment the little girl and the mother come into the gallery. I looked at them. The mother was vey tall, with blonde hair with clear eyes, at first I thought she was a foreigner but when I heard the woman speaking I thought again.
The little child was blonde too. She had a pretty face framed by locks escaping from her hair clip. Her forehead was broad and her sharp blue eyes penetrate. She seemed very lively.
The little girl, who was probably 5 year old, as she entered the painting room promptly let go of her mother's hand and started wandering around the art gallery pushed by a personal interest.
She moved between the paintings as if she's entered in a labyrinth. She was not afraid even of getting lost. I wasn't taken aback by the vivacity of this child, I didn't care if she might damage some paintings. I felt tranquil because I knew this child won't.
At a certain point the little girl stopped in front of a painting and said: "That's me".
She called her mother who promptly arrived. The mother looked at the painting, whose name is 'Portrait of a little girl in a late 700 family'. She noticed the resemblance to her daughter and finally admitted: "That's true, that one is you".

1 commento:

  1. my girl, don't fear the errors -which are many indeed- i see you potential

    Miss BigBee

    RispondiElimina